Questions to ask before hiring a home care agency are:
- Do they have a home care license from the state?
- Are the fees competitive? (low fees can mean low quality service)
- What is the cancellation policy?
- Are there “add-on” fees for things such as case management, periodic supervisor home visits, transportation, updating a care plan, or processing insurance claims?
- Are they the legal employer of the caregiver or are you? (Don’t become an “accidental employer” in the eyes of the IRS by hiring someone from a non-licensed registry or individual.)
- Is there a phone number to call 24/7 where you can speak to a home care supervisor?
- What is the agency policy if you are not satisfied with your caregiver?
- What forms of payment are accepted and how often are you billed?