Home Care in Jupiter FL
The summer months mean many things, from an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables, to longer days and beautiful nights, to a more leisurely pace of life that encourages people to spend more quality time with their friends and family out enjoying the warm weather and bountiful sunlight. It also means a variety of insects that can quickly ruin your summertime fun. Knowing how to handle these visitors can help your aging parent embrace the benefits that they can offer while avoiding the possible dangers that they can cause.
July 10 is Don’t Step on a Bee Day. Stepping on a bee is never an enjoyable experience, and if your aging parent has an allergy to the venom it can become a dangerous situation within moments. Bees are an integral part of the ecosystem, however, and are considered endangered, making it important that your parent is able to protect themselves from painful and potentially harmful stings without causing damage to the population.
Use these tips to help your parent stay safe when the bees start arriving this summer:
- Avoid scents. Your parent might love to smell good, but if they are heading outside they should forego the perfumes or colognes. These scents make your parent more attractive to bees, causing them to fly around them and increasing the chances of stings
- Avoid bright colors. Another step toward not seeming like a giant flower for the bees is avoiding bright colors. Take a cue from beekeepers and choose white or neutral colors instead when going outside near where bees may live
- Avoid treats they might want. Remember that bees are after nectar and if they smell something that they think is this sweet liquid, they are going to want a taste. Do not attract them to yourself by indulging in sugary drinks or foods while you are near where they may live. If you are enjoying such a treat outside, always be very careful to check before you take a sip or a bite. A bee can slip down into your can of drink and be hard to notice and if you take a sip, it could sting the inside of your mouth or even your throat
- Wear tight cuffs. Loose, flowy clothing may be comfortable in the hot temperatures of the summer months, but they could invite bees to fly in. Once up a sleeve, skirt, or pant leg, they could panic and if your parent tries to swat at it, they are likely to get a painful sting.
An elderly care provider can be a great source of support and care for your aging parent to help them stay active throughout the summer months while also remaining safe and healthy. This elderly home care services provider can be there for your parent to offer the companionship, direct care, and assistance that they need to stay mentally, emotionally, and physically healthy and happy, while also offering valuable services such as reliable transportation, planned outings, and more to help them stay active while also helping them to avoid possible dangers.
If you or an aging loved one are in need of home care in Jupiter, FL or the surrounding areas, contact the caring professionals at Treasure Coast Home Health Care. Call today at (772) 678-3324.
We are licensed by the Agency for Healthcare Administration in Florida. As a licensed nurse registry, we refer private duty caregivers to clients in need of personal care services and assistance with every day activities. We are providers of medical and non-medical health care services.
Latest posts by Lee Borellis, Owner (see all)
- What Are the Causes and Symptoms of Lung Cancer? - June 14, 2017
- How Can You Help Your Elderly Loved One if She’s Still Extremely Independent? - June 7, 2017
- What You Should Know About Healthy and Safe Swimming Week - May 19, 2017